SGA passes budget

At its Sept. 29 meeting, the Student Government Association appointed nine senators and two justices, unanimously approved its budget and recapped the Legacy Fund, which disperses financial aid to student groups for travel expenses.

But officials most stressed SGA’s attendance policy because one senator faces removal for missing three meetings.

“You can’t call me right before the meeting and say ‘I have homework,'” SGA Vice President of Administration Shauna Prentice said.

Senators are permitted two absences. After that, the offenders are offered a choice between resignation and impeachment proceedings.

SGA President Gabe Cronon described the attendance policy as “very flexible.”

SGA also added nine senators to its ranks with unanimous approval. They begin immediately and serve as full senators throughout the fall semester, but must run in the November elections to retain their seats. The judicial council, which grew by two members at the meeting, faces similar requirements.

Kevin Reynolds, the vice president of Student Involvement, briefed the Senate on the Legacy Fund, which he said still retains $32,000 for student groups. Nevertheless, the final two meetings where organizations pitch their need for the travel money remain booked solid.

SGA’s budget also gained approval. Most of it, according to Finance Committee Chair Leigha Phelps, consisted of necessary expenses, and could not be changed. However, the parts that could be were trimmed down.

“We tried to make this budget more fiscally responsible,” she said, “in the wake of impending budget cuts.”

Dean of Students Jeff Waple also announced that Northern Kentucky University is working on updates to several of its rules regarding students, such as the Code of Conduct and Late Night Events. He added that NKU will be creating a crisis response plan that identifies “disruptive behavior on campus” as well as other crisis management plans.

The plan, he said, would cover not only “how to address crises in planning, but how to bring campus back to normal.”