Sports briefs

Volleyball game postponed The Northern Kentucky University/Bellarmine volleyball game was postponed Sept. 16 due to a power outage at the Louisville campus, according to the Bellarmine Athletics Web Site.

No makeup date has been determined. Next for the Norse is a matchup with Pumas at 7 p.m. Sept. 19 at Regents Hall.

Men’s Golf wins home meet The NKU Men’s Golf team won their match at the NKU Fall Invitational at the Cherry Blossom Golf Course in Georgetown, Ky.

The Norse shot 12-under par as a team, according to the NKU Sports Information Web site.

Senior Clint Kohls finished in first for NKU as the men held the top three spots individually.

Next for the golf team is the Fall Regional Invitational in South Haven, Mich. Sept. 21 and 22.

Women’s Soccer falls out of Top 25 The NKU Women’s Soccer team lost their first game of the season losing 3-0 to Wisconsin-Parkside Sept. 12.

The Norse (3-1, 0-1 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference), who was ranked No. 11, was shutout by the No. 17 Rangers (5-0, 1-0 in the GLVC).

Their Sept. 14 match with Lewis University was postponed due to rain. No makeup game has been announced.

In the latest rankings, the Norse find themselves out of the Top 25. The team also fell from No. 2 to No. 5 in the Midwest rankings.

Next for NKU is a home matchup with Quincy at 5 p.m. Sept. 19 at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex in Wilder.

Baseball to host camp for kids The NKU Baseball team will be hosting a pitching camp on Sept. 21 (5-7 p.m.) and Sept. 22 (6-8 p.m.) for kids ages 10-14 years old.

The camp will include instructions on the fundamentals and mechanics of pitching and focus on different game situations such as pickoffs, backing up bases and then various drills and activities.

Also included in the camp will be how to properly condition your arm before and after every game as well as how to get it ready for high-school pitching.

The cost is $50 for each camp and it is on a first come, first serve basis. Current and former NKU players will be there to help instruct.

For more information, call Coach Asalon at (859) 572-6474.

Cross-Country teams have strong outing The NKU Cross-Country teams competed in the NCAA Division II/NAIA division of the Mel Brodt Invitational where they claimed top five finishes on Sept. 13th.

Sophomore Drew Harris led the men finishing in seventh in the men’s race with a time of 26:39.78 on the eight-kilometer course.

Harris’ finish helped the Norse to place an overall third in the nine-team competition.

The women’s team placed fourth in the competition, going up against six other teams. Junior Janice Laker was the star of the day, leading her team to their overall victory. Laker completed the five-kilometer course with a time of 19:46.31 where she placed ninth.

NKU will not compete again until Sept. 27 at the Sean Earl Lakefront Invitational in Chicago, Ill.

Reds beat up on Cards 7-2

The Cincinnati Reds (69-81) thrashed the St. Louis Cardinals (78-72) Sept. 16 at The Great American Ballpark.

The game started off with the Reds being down in the second inning and not making a comeback until bottom of the sixth, when third baseman Edwin Encarnacion hit a three-run double, making the score 3-1. St. Louis scored another run in the seventh, but so did the Reds.

With the score being 3-2, the Reds rallied with 3 more runs in the bottom of the 8th then holding the Cardinals in the top of the 9th to claim victory, making the final score 7-2.

Bronson Arroyo (15-10) pitched an amazing game for the Reds, shutting out four batters and only allowing five hits.

The Reds take on St. Louis again on Sept. 17 and 18 in Cincinnati and also play Milwaukee on Sept. 19, 20 and 21 at the Great American Ballpark.

Red Sox drop big game to Rays

There seems to be no end for the Boston Red Sox in their quest for first place in the American League.

The Red Sox fell to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, giving them sole possession atop the American League East.

Josh Beckett (12-9) pitched an amazing game but it wasn’t enough. In the bottom of the ninth, Dioner Navarro’s walk-off single gave the Rays their 2-1 victory.