Across the University

College of Education and Human Services: The International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) issued a grant to the International Leaders in Education Program. The grant will bring 16 secondary teachers from the near East as well as south and southeast Asia to Northern Kentucky University to further develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills and increase their knowledge of the United States. The grant will be implemented during the spring 2009 semester. The IREX is an international non-profit organization that seeks to provide leadership and innovative programs that improve education, strengthen independent media and foster pluralistic civil society development

College of Arts and Sciences: Kimberly Hatcher, a senior computer science major, won a full scholarship to attend the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing conference that runs from Oct. 1 through Oct. 4 at Keystone Resort in Colorado. Hatcher is the founding president of the student group Women in Informatics. The group won the 2008 NKU Best New Student Club Award.

College of Business: NKU named Dr. Tom Cate the school’s 2008 Frank Sinton Milburn Outstanding Professor. A professor of economics in the Haile/US Bank College of Business, Cate has served as a faculty senator, chair of the Department of Economics and Finance and director of the MBA program.

Chase College of Law: The Northern Kentucky Law Review is sponsoring a free symposium, “Lincoln, the Lawyer,” that focuses on his years of law practice, particularly in Kentucky, at 8:30 a.m. Oct. 4 at the Cincinnati Marriott River Center in Covington, Ky. Contact professor Roger Billings at billingsr@nku.edu with questions. To register, e-mail lincolnsymposium@gmail.com.

To announce something in your college, e-mail The Northerner at northerner@nku.edu.