Being pampered on a budget

Who says you have to go to an overpriced day spa to get a little bit of pampering? Northern Kentucky University students can now get luxury treatment at student-friendly prices.

Gateway Community College’s cosmetology school now offers salon and spa services at a discount to NKU students.

Sarah Laws, day shift supervisor at the salon, said that this is a new initiative. “Gateway and NKU are sister schools,” she explained. “This is something we wanted to offer students. We’re really exited about it.”

NKU students, faculty and staff can get free haircuts and 50 percent off other salon services including permanent waves, high lights, low lights, manicures, pedicures and facials. The special began Aug. 25 when classes resumed and will continue through the semester.

Laws said the program has really taken off but they have seen more faculty than students come in, something she hopes will change as the semester continues.

The salon has 18 styling stations, four manicure stations, two pedicure stations and 2 facial rooms. “It’s just like any other salon,” Laws said. Other than just hair styling, Laws said the salon offers other spa services such as hot oil manicures and scalp treatments.

Students can call (859) 442-1190 to get a full list of services and to make an appointment. Stylists are available between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.