Roger Clemens ‘gone country’

Roger Clemens had a decade-long relationship with country star Mindy McCready that began when she was a 15-year-old aspiring singer and the pitcher was a Boston Red Sox ace, the Daily News reported.

“I cannot refute anything in the story,” McCready told the newspaper in a story posted on its Web site Monday night.

“I have known Roger Clemens for a long time,” she said, without detailing the nature of their relationship.

Clemens’ lawyer, Rusty Hardin, confirmed the pitcher and singer had known each other for a long time but told the newspaper there was no sex.

“Mindy McCready is a longtime family friend of Roger Clemens and the Clemens family,” Hardin said in a statement Monday. “At no time did Roger engage in any kind of inappropriate or improper relationship with her. It is unfortunate that the Daily News has chosen to report anonymous allegations that are completely unfounded, have no basis in fact, and have nothing to do with Roger’s baseball career or the issue of steroid use in baseball.”

The News’ original story, which appeared on the newspaper’s Web site April 27 and in editions April 28, quoted several people who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Clemens was 28 and a married father of two when he first met McCready, the newspaper reported.

In its story Monday night, sources told the News that McCready went with Clemens to his hotel room in Fort Myers, Fla., after their first meeting but that they did not have sex. The relationship turned intimate after she later moved to Nashville and became a country star, the paper said.

The story could undermine Clemens’ reputation, which is central to the defamation suit the former pitcher has filed against former personal trainer Brian McNamee. McNamee contends Clemens used performance-enhancing substances during his major league career.

“If true, it’s just another example of Roger’s pervasive prevarications which will be at the core of any defamation case,” said McNamee’s attorney, Richard Emery, in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

“If the case heads to trial and is not dismissed, as we feel it should be, we will be calling (McCready) as a witness,” Emery told the News.

The newspaper said Clemens sent cash to McCready to help her with legal issues and reached out to her when she was in jail last year in Tennessee. Clemens sometimes sent her amounts of $25,000, the paper said.

McCready had a No. 1 single in 1996 with “Guys Do It All the Time.”