Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis nail spot for tournament

The Northern Kentucky University Women’s Tennis team secured a position in the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament April 12 at the Joyce E. Yeager Tennis Complex in Highland Heights, Ky., with an 8-1 victory against Missouri-St. Louis.

The only loss in the matches versus the Tritons was a singles match where NKU tennis player Patricia Brink was defeated by Stephanie Thompson, 7-5, 7-5.

Lady Norse Kristen Sunday, Michelle Schirmann and Emily Okerson won in straight sets against their opponents.

NKU improved to 12-3 on the year and 7-1 in the GLVC. With the wins over Quincy and Indianapolis, the Lady Norse will be one of the top eight teams that will head to the conference tournament in Indianapolis, Ind.

Men’s Tennis falls to Tritons 7-2

The NKU Men’s Tennis team fell to Missouri-St. Louis 7-2, April 12 at the Joyce E. Yeager Tennis Complex in Highland Heights, Ky.

Michael Volkov and John Raley won their doubles flight, 8-4 over Peter Hantack and Andre Chemas.

Jason Kramer won the lone singles match for NKU with a tiebreaker win over Tim Bryant, 6-3, 4-6, (10-7).

NKU’s record fell to 5-11 and 2-5 in the GLVC and is currently in a seventh place tie with Quincy in the conference. The Norse hold the tiebreaker against the Hawks, according to NKU Sports Information Web Site.

Men’s Golf in GLVC tournament

After two rounds, the NKU Men’s Golf team is in sixth place at the GLVC Championships in Columbus, Ind.

Carl Hays leads the Norse with a score of 148 through two rounds.

NKU is currently six strokes behind Lewis and 29 strokes back of first place Indianapolis.

Next for NKU is the Wayne State Regional Invitational April 20-21 at the Purgatory Course in Noblesville, Ind.

Middendorf named Pitcher of the Week

NKU pitcher Dave Middendorf was named the GLVC Baseball Pitcher of the Week, according to the conference Web site.

Middendorf threw a complete nine-inning shutout against Indianapolis April 13 at Champion Window Field in Florence, Ky.

NKU will face Southern Indiana April 16, before heading to play Bellarmine in a four-game series April 19-20.