UP questions sexual assault

University Police was investigating a sexual assault alleged to have taken place the night of April 1 in Norse Hall, now police are investigating the report itself.

At 9:22 p.m., the female student alleged that she had just been sexually assaulted by a male in Norse Hall, according to the UP Web site. Both the alleged victim and suspect in this case were interviewed by UP after the incident was reported. According to the report, the alleged victim then declined to prosecute.

The case is now again under investigation as to why a complaint was ever filed, according to Chief Harold Todd. It is a crime to file a false report with the police.

“You can read between the lines of it. We are looking to see why that report was even made,” Todd said. “We don’t understand why it was even reported.” As this was an ongoing investigation, Todd declined to make further comment.

The report itself was the third sexual assault reported this semester, coming a little more than two weeks after UP issued a campus crime alert after a student reported being kidnapped, taken off campus and raped. And, on Jan. 28, a female student reported that she had been raped by someone she knew in Commonwealth Hall in November.

The Northerner was denied access to police report. According to Sara Sidebottom, vice president for legal affairs and general counsel, the record is not subject to disclosure because the case is still being investigated.