Historic cabin vandalized

The historic log cabin located on campus was broken into and vandalized, according to University Police, causing $200 in damage. A security guard discovered the break-in on the morning of March 27. Police are investigating when the actual break-in occurred.

The Columbus H. Gosney Cabin, located behind the Information Center and Honors House, is a more than 200-year-old historic site believed to have served as a one-room schoolhouse, according to archives with University Relations.

In 1982, the historic cabin was rebuilt log-by-log on campus after being donated by the Campbell County Public Parks Corporation.

Greg Rogers, an NKU security guard, noticed a shutter on the historic log cabin blowing in the wind. UP was called in and Officer Shari Schwalbach joined Rogers in investigating the scene.

The two discovered that a window was broken and a wooden bookshelf inside had been slammed into a glass case shattering its top. Facilities Management then responded to the building to repair and secure it.

While police say vandals were able to get inside this building, another vandal caused damage to a door in another building when he or she tried to pry it open.

In an unrelated incident, UP discovered someone tried to pry open the door to Room 219 of the Fine Arts building, a music computer lab, causing $30 in damage. The incident is described as an attempted burglary on the UP Web site.

Sonny Barker, an assistant locksmith, was called to the scene when the door would not open, according to the police report. He discovered the damage to the strike plate and notified UP. Officer Jill Arlinghaus responded.

Both cases remain open and under investigation as incidents of criminal mischief in the third degree. Anyone with information about these reported vandalisms should contact UP at (859) 572-5500.