Briefs

Kentucky Mountain Lauren Festival – A Kentucky tradition

Second to the Kentucky Derby, The Kentucky Mountain Laurel Festival will take place May 22-25. The pageant will open on Thursday night and close Sunday morning.

Interested beauty pageant participants representing NKU are encouraged to sign up. Candidates are encouraged to provide their own clothing and transportation to Pineville, KY for the weekend. Food and lodging will be covered for the selected participant. If interested, please contact Betty Mulkey at mulkey@nku.edu For more information on the festival visit www.kmif.org

Kappa Delta Shamrock putt-putt kickoff

On March 31, the Kappa Delta Sorority will hold their annual golf scramble to raise money for Prevent Child Abuse America. The putt-putt kickoff for the tournament will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the University Center Plaza for students. Giveaways will be given out to participants. For every hole-in-one you make, your name will be entered for a raffle. The cost of one ball is $2, for three balls, $5.

Don’t miss out on the actual Golf Scramble on April 5 at Flagg Springs Golf Course in California, Ky. There will be two tee off times at 8 a.m and 1:30 p.m. Each team will consist of four members at $70 a person. A free buffet-style lunch or dinner, cart, goodie bags and drink tickets will be given to each team.

Kappa Delta is accepting both monetary and non-monetary donations including raffle prizes, silent auction items and gift certificates. Hole sponsors will be $150 and will receive their name on one hole. T-shirt sponsors will be $150 and will receive their name or company logo on the back of shirt that will be given to 300 people.

Interested participants and sponsors are encourages to contact Melanie Ehrlich at Ehrlichm1@nku.edu or (859) 608-3531

Cesar Chavez Cincinnati Celebration

NKU’s Latino Student Affairs is calling for a national holiday in honor of Cesar Chavez, founder and president of The United Farm Worker’s, March 31.

The event will take place at then National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in the Harriet Tubman Theater at 6 p.m.

Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend. Students from Miami University, NKU, Xavier Uuniversity and Thomas More will volunteer.

This event is co-sponsored by NKU’s Literature and Language department, Honors Program, African-American Student Affairs, Afro-American Studies, LULAC-NKU and several community organizations.

To volunteer or for additional information, contact Latino Student Affairs at (859) 572-6013

Go Red on Opening Day at the Spring Blood Drive!

The spring blood drive will take place on March 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the University Center Ballroom. All interested donors are encouraged to attend.

This event is being sponsored by Panhellenic and Interfraternal Councils

Please contact the Hoxworth staff in advance if you wish to assist in the event. You can schedule online at www.hoxworth.org/nku or contact Hoxworth staff member Katie Glahn at (513) 558-1562

2nd Annual Norse-A-Palooza

The second annual Norse-A-Palooza will take place on the science center lawn on April 7.

This outdoor adventure will feature free food, a T-shirt for each team member, philanthropic opportunity, fun activities and a Tug-of-War Tournament.

APB is calling all your organizations, teams, residence halls, classes, or groups of friends to participate in the second annual Norse-A-Palooza Tug-of-War tournament. A team of six people is required for the tournament. Teams will be split into three brackets, boys, girls and co-ed. One organization, class, residence hall, or group of friends may have a team for each bracket.

The registration form and $15 fee is due March 28 by 4:30 p.m. in the Office of Student Life.

NKU extends Application Deadline for needs based programs

Students now have until April 1 to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to qualify for NKU’s Northern Difference Grant and Holmes High School/Newport High School Grant.

Students can apply for either the Northern Difference Grant or the Holmes High School/Newport High School Grant to help Kentucky residents who are PELL grant eligible to make up the difference between the cost of attending NKU (tuition, fees, room and board, books) and the federal, state and institutional grants qualified students receive. It is renewable for up to four years. Students must maintain a 2.5 college grade point average, attend NKU full-time and remain Federal Pell Grant eligible in order to renew.