Norse lose heartbreaker to Lakers 62-58

The season came to an end for the NKU Men’s Basketball team in the semifinals of the NCAA Division II Great Lakes Region Tournament (round 32) March 15, as it lost to Grand Valley State 62-58.

GVSU, the undefeated No. 1 team in the nation, edged out a 52-58 victory over the Norse. Despite the loss, the Norse made an improvement from the 2007 NCAA Division II Sweet 16 game against the Lakers, in which the Norse were defeated 66-42.

NKU’s record sits at 21-8 overall and 14-5 in the GLVC-a one game improvement over last year’s GLVC record of 13-6.

Nevertheless, the Norse had several accomplishments.

They achieved their highest national ranking Feb. 5, at No. 22 in the nation.

Harrison Morton developed into the team’s offensive leader this year. He averaged 14.1 points per game – an improvement of over eight points per game compared to last season.

The Norse relied heavily on the 3-pointer this year, scoring 37 percent of their totals from beyond the arc. Leading the way on 3-pointers was Dennis Gagai, who made 64 threes on the year, and Harrison Morton, who led in 3-point percentage at 49 percent.

Looking toward next year, NKU will have to play without seniors Vincent Humphrey, Harrison Morton, Anthony Teague, Travis Rasso and Mark Hawkins.

NKU will open up its exhibition schedule against Louisville at the new Bank of Kentucky Center at 8 p.m. Nov. 8.