NKU student reports kidnapping, rape

University Police have reported an alleged kidnapping and rape of a Northern Kentucky University student that, according to them, began at about 7:20 p.m. March 16 on campus, with the two suspects still at large, police said.

According to UP’s Web site, while on her way to a meeting a student was accosted by two white men in Parking Lot C.

“The victim was grabbed and held by the larger suspect while the smaller suspect retrieved a vehicle,” UP’s Web site said.

“It was in the parking lot, but Sunday at 7:30 it was getting dark and there’s not a lot of cars on campus on Sunday,” UP Chief Harold Todd said, pointing out that it was also still Spring Break.

The report continued, saying they forced her to get into their vehicle, believed to be a green Honda Civic with tinted windows, and then drove her to the Meadowview Apartments parking lot, where they raped her.

She fought her way free from the attackers who, UP Chief Harold Todd said, then fled the scene.

She then retreated to her vehicle, returned home and sought medical aid at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boone County. She notified the Boone County Sheriff’s Office, which, NKU Representative Chris Cole said, then informed Northern Kentucky University at about 2:30 a.m.

Cole said that he learned of it at around noon March 17. The e-mail was sent out just before 3 p.m. March 17. Cole said that the 12-hour turnaround is due to the university gathering information.

“They were trying to get as many facts as they could,” he said, “getting specifics, getting descriptions.”

Cole said that the victim does not know the suspects, though Todd said he did not know whether she was an acquaintance of the pair.

The UP Web site describes the first suspect as a 6-foot-2-inch muscular man with “a slight gut.” He has short brown hair (a little more than a burr). He was wearing a red hoody, blue jeans and a black baseball hat. He has a tribal band tattoo on his arm.

The Web site describes the second suspect as a 5-foot-8-inch dishwater blond, whose hair is short, albeit shaggy in the middle. He was wearing a black t-shirt with no logo, blue jeans, and black gloves. He also had an earring.

Todd said that he doesn’t know if the suspects are part of the NKU community or not.

“I don’t know whether they’re on-campus or not on campus. We’re just taking precautions,” he said, adding that he’s told his officers to increase their presence on campus.

“I asked my officers to be a lot more visible, where they can be seen and easily contacted,” Todd said, “to give the community a better sense of security.”

Anyone with information should contact UP at (859) 572-5500.

Authorities suggest that individuals never walk alone. Should you be followed, call 911 and go to the nearest safe place. Yell or scream, or use a whistle, to make a loud noise and attract attention.

UP also offer escorting to any individual who requests it, either by calling their main number or activating an emergency call box.