SGA adds senators

The Student Government Association appointed two senators. It also praised the success of their iCare program last week, at its Feb. 11 meeting, Executive Vice President Tony Gulla presided over the meeting where Chris Tinsley, a sophomore political science major, and Joe McGinnis, an undeclared freshman, were voted in unopposed. That brought the total number of seats filled to 29. McGinnis said he wanted to increase Norse pride on campus by working as a senator. “You don’t see Norse pride, just concrete everywhere,” he said. Tinsley said that he wanted to increase student involvement, noting that the students who are involved on campus are a “vocal minority,” and that the more engaged students on campus, the better. The iCare campaign also came up at the meeting, and will be continued past Homecoming week. Sen. Melissa Koppenhoefer said that the rally at Northern Kentucky University on Feb. 18 is to protest a 15 percent, or $8.2 million, cut to NKU’s budget. Gulla also said that the iCare phone and e-mail campaign filled up the inboxes of the local representatives and that by Wednesday students had already sent 500 messages protesting the funding decreases. He added that the office workers eventually asked students to stop calling the legislators’ offices. “They weren’t getting a lunch,” he said. “One guy actually said ‘When you stop cutting our funding, we’ll stop calling.'”