Memorial pending for IT member Watson

Northern Kentucky University staff member Kerry Watson died Jan. 30. He was only 40 years old.

According to Tim Ferguson, associate provost for Information Technology, Watson was diagnosed with heart disease and terminal cancer in October 2007.

Watson was recently promoted to a Systems Analyst position on the NKU IT team. He had worked at NKU for more than five years.

Ferguson noted that they are looking for a replacement even though it will be difficult to replace all the qualities that (Watson) brought to NKU.

“We may find someone with the technical skills we need but it will be a stroke of luck if we find someone that has made the difference (Watson) did on the IT organization,” he said.

Ferguson said he will miss Watson’s smile.

“He brightened any room when he entered with a large smile for anyone,” he said. “He was one of the greatest all around guys you will ever meet.”

Watson’s visitation was held Feb. 1.

Ferguson said that a memorial for Watson is in the planning process. He added that IT is working on a brick in front of the library as one tribute.

Watson was a rare find in the technological community of IT professionals, Ferguson said. He said Watson brought a personality and way about him that were rare.

“In my 20-plus years in the IT profession, I have not met anyone that brought the warming personality to their job as much as (Watson) did,” Ferguson said. “He contributed to everyone’s excitement for working for NKU and was simply a young gentleman that everyone admired to the fullest.”

Watson is survived by his wife, Elaine Becker Watson, his mother, his father and his brother ,Scott. He also has two sons: Nathaneal and Zachary, two stepsons: Jon and Scott.

Donations can be made to the NKU Foundation for the memorial scholarship fund