Norse defeat Vandy 10-3, winning streak now at six

The Northern Kentucky University Hockey Club blew away Vanderbilt on the rink Jan. 26 as the Norse defeated the Commodores 10-3 in Nashville, Tenn.

The win moves NKU’s record to 12-6 on the season. The Norse are currently ranked No. 8 in the American Collegiate Hockey Association North Regional Poll.

This season the ACHA has added regional play for Division III, which includes NKU. The top 10 teams from each region will make the tournament.

For defensive man Scott Hicks, the opportunity to make the postseason is there for the Norse.

“We are currently eighth in our region and I believe we will be in postseason play,” Hicks said. “With the way it is set up and the games we have remaining, we have a great shot to make it.”

Leading the team in goals is forward Kyle Devlin with 31 goals on the year. Devlin and center Justin Barr had four goals each in the win over Vanderbilt, as the goals came pouring in from the start.

Hicks, who is a co-captain of team along with forward Karl Mueller, feels that the team is coming around performing well on offense and defense.

“We have a team full of leaders, which is what makes us so good and why we gel together so well,” Hicks said. “Right now our club is continuing to get better each season and move up in the club ranks.”

As for obtaining classification, Hicks was open-minded about the moratorium issued by the NCAA, but doesn’t rule out that a varsity hockey team can’t be pursued.

“A NCAA varsity team is hopefully in the picture in the future,” Hicks said. “There is a mandate that schools can’t change status for four years, and then it would be up to the school.”

The Norse Hockey Club will face Vanderbilt at 10:15 p.m. in Nashville, Tenn., before heading home to play Eastern Kentucky University for a two-game series. The first game will take place Feb. 1 at the Northern Kentucky Ice Center. The puck will drop at 10 p.m.

The Norse will conclude the series against EKU Feb. 2 at 8 p.m.