SGA sets goals for new semester, approves logo

At its spring semester retreat Jan. 14, the Student Government Association outlined its 2008 goals, including amending its constitution to shrink the Senate and Judiciary committee, as well as make the latter appointed by the Senate, not elections.

SGA President Alyse Bender said, noting that compared to other Kentucky universities, Northern Kentucky University’s student government is rather large. However, she added that any Senate reductions would be small, most likely three or four seats.

Bender also floated three other changes for the constitution. She also advised SGA to review the constitution’s language.

According to Executive Vice President Tony Gulla, the language in the constitution is often confusing and several positions’ duties overlap, necessitating a “cleaning up” of the document.

“A lot of it is jargon,” he said.

Bender also suggested halting SGA’s fall elections, which have typically poor turnout, and having all the students run for office at once.

“We’re hoping it will make elections more competitive,” Bender said. “We’re just looking at a way to best represent students.”

Student Government can propose changes to the constitution via a two-thirds vote. Students can amend the document by obtaining a petition with the signatures of three percent of the student body.

Once proposed, the amendments must survive a simple majority vote in the Senate and then be ratified by the vice president of student affairs, the university president and the chair of the Board of Regents.

SGA also approved of a new logo at the retreat, although several senators were disappointed with the three options they had. One senator likened a rejected design to a “checkerboard or 1960s.”

Instead, they opted for the only design that incorporated the university’s logo.

“It’s designed to match the look and scope of the university,” Bender said. “It’s serious but it’s fun.”

Out of the three options, she said she thought the approved one appeared the most professional.

SGA had to abandon its previous emblem, which Bender said illegally and inadvertently used a part of NKU’s logo for more than two years. According to Bender, problems arose when SGA began writing letters using the logo to the Kentucky Senate, implying SGA was speaking for NKU.