During winter break…

Though the campus was virtually devoid of students, Northern Kentucky University kept on working. From signing a climate committment to a new school grant, here’s what happened:

NKU to host lecture

NKU Chase College of Law and the Alternative Dispute Resolution Center have partnered to present a free public lecture by Neil Brown titled “Celebrity Arbitration: Or, Keep Your Hands Off My (Domain) Name!” Jan. 22, from 4 to 5 p.m. in NKU’s University Center Otto Budig Theater. The lecture will be followed by a reception from 5 to 6 p.m. in the Meyer Boardroom (NKU’s Nunn Hall Room 534). The event is free and open to the public. RSVP before Jan. 18 by calling (859) 572-5987 or ogburn@nku.edu.

Rieveschls give NKU $1 million

NKU received a second $1 million donation from Ellen Rieveschls and the late George Rieveschls. University President James Votruba said the gift would be used to buy equipment for the university’s soon-to-be-constructed $35.5 million Center for Informatics.

President signs Climate Committment

Votruba signed the American college and University President’s Climate Commitment, joining approximately 440 college and university presidents nationwide. He is the first university president from Kentucky to sign. The Commitment is a pledge to phase out emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. An inventory of greenhouse gas emissions will be complete by September 2008, followed by a detailed plan next year. For more information about the President’s Climate Commitment, visit www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org.

Program aims at college experience

The Office of First-Year programs, New Student Orientation, Student Life, Athletics and University Housing are hosting “The Ultimate Road Trip: College to Career.” The presentation will be at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 16 in the Otto M. Budig Theater and will talk about the choices students make during college. Food will be served at 7 p.m. and a dessert reception will follow at 8:30 p.m. The next showcase will be at noon Jan. 23 in the Otto M. Budig Theater. Food will be served at 11:30 a.m. and a dessert reception will follow at 1 p.m.