Weekend guide for convention

Needing something different to do this coming weekend Northern Kentucky University students? Check out Redsfest 2007 at the Duke Energy Center Dec. 7 and 8.

The doors will open at 4 p.m. Dec. 7 and the event will run until 10 p.m. that evening, filled with a number of events for any baseball fan of any age.

The doors will open Dec. 8 at 11 a.m. and will remain open until 7 p.m.

It’s the time of year when the fans are treated to countless memories, including taking photos with their favorite Reds player or personnel. Fans can also have memorabilia signed by their favorite players.

Redsfest returned in 2006 after a two-year hiatus due to the renovation of the Duke Energy Center.

This year’s event will introduce new manager Dusty Baker and pay tribute to “the Ol’ Lefthander” Joe Nuxhall, who passed away Nov. 15 at the age of 79.

The event will include several activites for people to participate in, including a speed pitch, batting cages, run it out, oversized team photo and the at-the-wall catch.

Also, the Reds Community Fund will be hosting a Wiffle Ball tournament on the Gorilla Glue Field of Dreams. Other events include a home run contest and open games for all ages.

Redsfest will also showcase thousands of Reds memorabilia for sale. The selection is extensive, from baseball cards and photos to the hard-to-find collectibles, there are plenty of items from which to choose that special gift for any Reds fan.

The Reds Community Fund will also be hosting The 2nd Annual Reds Community Fund Celebrity Poker Tournament.

The doors will open at 3:30 p.m. for registration and side games, and the tournament will begin at 5 p.m. Each table will feature a current or former Reds player, coach, broadcaster or other local celebrity. You must be 18 years or older to enter and the individual entry is $200 per person.

Here are some key names of players and staff appearing at Redsfest 2007: Starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo, second baseman Brandon Phillips, outfielder Norris Hopper, manager Baker, outfielder Ryan Freel, broadcaster and former Reds closer Jeff Brantley, broadcaster Marty Brennaman, “Mr. Perfect” former starting pitcher Tom Browning, former Reds outfielder Eric Davis, starting pitcher Aaron Harang and many more.

The first night of Redsfest will conclude with concerts from Noah Hunt ‘ The All Stars, Josh Sneed, a standup comedian, and will end with Reds pitcher Arroyo. Some of the key events from Dec. 8 will be the kid’s only press conference with Reds players and the Reds Hall of Fame Jeopardy Finals.

Tickets for adults are $15 for one-day pass and $20 for a two-day pass. For the kids a one-day pass is $7 and $10 for a two-day pass.

For directions or more information, visit the Cincinnati Reds Web site at www.reds.com.