Briefs

GA passes Cash to card resolution

Student Government Association passed the “Cash to Card Resolution” at its meeting Dec. 3. The resolution requests the purchasing of three cash-to-card machines, which allows students to put money on their All Card in University Housing. It further stated that currently, the only place a cash-to-card machine is located in the Steely Library and that means students are limited to when they can use it due to the library’s office hours. “It will be very convenient as well as give (students) a discount,” said Kelly Sirk, vice president of public relations for SGA.

Jena 6 mothers to speak at NKU

The mothers of the Jena 6 are set to speak at Northern Kentucky University at 6 p.m. Dec. 6 in the Otto Budig Theater. The “Jena 6” term originated after white students hung nooses from a tree in Jena, La., in response to black students sitting under the “white” tree at Jena High School in 2006. A few weeks later, an arsonist set fire to a wing of the school. Race riots followed, when six black teenagers, referred to as the Jena 6, were arrested and charged with second-degree attempted murder after allegedly beating up a white student who they said tormented them, according to the Free the Jena 6 Web site. The first to be tried and the only to remain in jail, Mychal Bell, was found guilty of aggravated second-degree battery in June 2007. That verdict was thrown out in appeal and he was retried as a juvenile. He pled guilty Dec. 3 to a charge of second-degree battery for an 18-month sentence in a juvenile facility. Joshua A. Harris, president of Black Men’s Organization said the entire turn of events is “kind of scary.” “It’s one of those things you become fearful of