Women get new way to play hoops

Women basketball enthusiasts at Northern Kentucky University can now get their dribble on in the new Women’s Basketball Club.

Created for the those who are unable to make or don’t want to commit to the varsity squad, the club’s main focus is allowing more girls to play basketball on campus.

“I just wanted to have a way for girls here to play,” Bellew said. “We could never get enough to play intramurals.”

When beginning the club, Bellew posted flyers around campus to see what kind of response she would receive.

“We had 15 come to the meeting and 10 others that e-mailed with interest in joining the club,” Bellew said. “So I would say that it was a good response.”

For the club to compete, it would need to join a conference. The basketball club was invited to join the Midwest Club Basketball Conference by The Ohio State University Women’s Basketball Club. The MCBC consists of Division III and junior college teams.

Key members of the conference are OSU, Cincinnati State, Ohio University, Ashland University and Miami University of Ohio. Bellew said that the conference is looking at adding University of Kentucky and University of Louisville in 2008.

NKU’s Women’s Basketball Club currently doesn’t have a coach, but Bellew is searching for someone to take the helm.

“I am looking at some of the players that I went to high school with and went on to play in college,” Bellew said. “I have also asked the girls that are in the club if they know any possible candidates that would like to coach.”

One of the main expenses in any sport is traveling and how to come up with the money for the travel and transportation. Bellew is hoping for some help from the university.

“Hopefully, it will be in the budget of NKU,” Bellew said. If the team keeps a consistent schedule, they can get a reimbursed for their travels, which include Cleveland and Toledo.

If you want to come out and watch the Women’s Basketball Club when its season starts up, the action will be in the Albright Health Center on campus.

With the Bank of Kentucky Center opening next season, the club could move to Regents Hall.

For more information on the club, contact Bellew by e-mail at bellewh1@nku.edu.