News Briefs

SACS coordinator appointed

Dr. Douglas Robertson was appointed the faculty coordinator for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) reaffirmation process Nov. 11. The SACS reaffirmation is part of the process to keep Northern Kentucky University an accredited university. Robertson is the assistant provost and director of the university’s Professional and Organizational Development Center, as well as a professor in the College of Education and Human services. He is in the last year of a five-year appointment as a Fulbright Senior Specialist Candidate. He has authored or co-edited six books and authored or co-authored more than 100 scholarly or creative publications or presentations.

Give to a child this holiday season

The Freshman Service Leadership Committee is asking for sponsors for boys at the Northern Kentucky Children’s Home in Covington, Ky. There are 60 boys from age 6 to 17 who need holiday gifts purchased for them. Gifts are about $25 per child and will be given out at a holiday party hosted by the FSLC Nov. 30. Anyone interested in sponsoring a child can contact Tiffany Mayse at (859) 572-5806 or mayset@nku.edu.

Military lecture set

Dr. Graydon Tunstall will be discussing how World War I set off a series of events that still have not been resolved in his lecture at 3 p.m. Nov. 28 in Otto Budig Theater. The lecture titled “World War I and its Effects on 20th Century History,” will include topics such as the transformation of Asia, India’s struggle for independence, Japan’s grasp for dominance in East Asia and the struggle between communism and nationalism in China. The Northern Kentucky University Department of History and Geography, Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society, office of the dean of the college of arts and sciences and the office of the vice president for academic affairs and provost are listed as sponsors of the event.