Losing their religion

“Love is not lustful, self-seeking, manipulative and whatever feels good. Love is pure, sacrificial, committed and faithful,” a Faithful Soldier sign read Nov. 12. The sign, citing the biblical verse of 1 John 4:8, was one of many held by members of the religious organization on Northern Kentucky University’s campus that day.

On second visit Nov.12 to once again denounce homosexuality, masturbation and premarital sex. The visit was filled with shouting and finger-pointing, but thankfully, no violence.

As a journalist, I say more power to the Faithful Soldiers. This group has every right to stand up for what it believes in. I support that 100 percent.

So, why did some people get so upset that the group, and in particular, the School of Evangelism director, Jason Storms, was here? Why were so many people angry, even shouting opposing views to the group? Regardless, I say that it was their right as well.

As a Christian, I also completely agree with all values this group is promoting. However, I have mixed feelings regarding the group’s approach. After all, Proverbs 10:12 states, “Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.”

Again, why did some people get so upset that the group was here voicing these messages against homosexuality, masturbation and premarital sex? It pressed buttons – different ones in different people.

Are some people ashamed of their lifestyles? Probably. Do some people think there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, masturbation and premarital sex? Sure. Were some people offended at the seemingly harsh way the group shared their messages? Of course.

Many people naturally take things personally – especially with such personal topics. “The irony of the situation was that students were getting upset with Storms’ preaching, when they could have ignored him or walked away,” Dean of Students Matt Brown stated in an article in the Nov. 14 edition of The Northerner. I have to concur. However, in this case it appears the students felt demeaned and judged. Sometimes the best way people can show their beliefs is just by the way they live.

I’ll always be the first to encourage people to stand up for them – whether I agree with them or not. If the Faithful Soldier group had the right to rally, then NKU students had every right to voice their opinions right back at the group.