Group collects gifts for St. Joe’s

As the holidays approach, groups are creating ways to share in the spirit of giving – and the Northern Kentucky University Rotaract Club is joining in the festivities.

The club will be sponsoring an angel tree on the first floor of the University Center to help collect gifts for the children of St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Cincinnati.

The Rotaract Club was established May 24, 2006 as part of Vision 2015 (Votruba’s strategy to improve the region) according to Etienne C. Badillo, retired Superior Judge, president of the Florence Rotary Club and NKU Rotaract Chairperson.

“The purpose of the club at NKU is to help the students gain the tools and life skills to address the physical and social needs of their community,” Badillo said. “Service activities highlight students’ roles in community economic development that can be shared in Kentucky and around the world.”

Assistant Vice Provost Patrick Moynahan said the Rotaract Club is a new service-focused, college-based organization for people between the ages of 18 and 30.

NKU student and Rotaract President Emily Wilson said “Membership in the club is a good way to get involved in your community. Involvement in community service projects will also give resumes a professional look and great networking (opportunities.)”

The club currently has seven members.

“We are looking for people who want to help make their community better,” Wilson said.

Although the NKU membership is on the small side, The Rotaract Club has grown into a strong international network, with 7300 clubs in more than 150 countries, according to Badillo.

“Our goals include members to develop knowledge and understanding of the needs and problems in the community, to recognize all useful occupations as an opportunity to serve,” she added.

The Rotaract Club motto is “Service Above Self.” The club also offers scholarship opportunities locally and abroad, leadership development activities, international service projects, monthly speakers and professional development activities in a framework of friendship and service.

To donate or for more information about membership and club details contact Rotaract President Emily Wilson at nkurotaract@yahoo.com.