News Briefs

Author presents global perspectives lecture

As part of Northern Kentucky University’s participation in International Education Week, Robert Neuwirth will be presenting a keynote lecture from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 14 in Otto Budig Theater. A book discussion will follow. Neuwirth is the author of “Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World,” a book he wrote after spending two years in squatter communities on four continents. With his book, Neuwirth wants to “humanize” these settlements, according to a press release. Other International Education Week events include a student panel discussing “Being an International Student at NKU” and “Why I Studied Abroad” from noon to 2 p.m. in Otto Budig Theater, and a screening of “Letters from Iwo Jima” at 6 p.m. Nov. 16 in Landrum Academic Center Room 417. For a complete list of events visit www.nku.edu.

Battery drive begins

The Collegiate Middle Level Association is having a Battery Drive to benefit the Redwood Rehabilitation Center. The association is requesting all sizes of batteries, but is placing special emphasis on AA and nine-volt batteries. Everyone who donates will be entered in a drawing to win a $25 gift card to the on-campus bookstore. The battery drive ends at the end of the semester. They can be turned in to Christopher Cook in Room 278 in the Business, Education and Technology Building, Shawn Faulkner in BEP 271 or in BEP 230. The Redwood Rehabilitation Center serves people with disabilities in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky area.

Center sponsors 5K walk/run Nov. 17

Brighton Center is holding its second annual 5K walk/run at 9 a.m. Nov. 17 at Newport on the Levee to raise money for the non-profit organization. Pre-registration costs $25; on race day it’s $30. Those who register before Nov. 13 will be entered for a chance to win a $50 gift card for Newport on the Levee. Registration information can be found at BrightonCenter.com. According to its Web site, the Brighton Center’s goal is to help individuals and families reach self-sufficiency. For more information about the 5K run/walk contact Jada Marcum at (859) 491-8303 ext. 2337 or jmarcum@brightoncenter.com.

Lunch ‘ lecture Nov. 20

The Northern Kentucky College of Informatics is sponsoring a lecture by Eileen Trauth, Ph.D., from Pennsylvania State University. The lecture is called “Research on Gender Diversity in the Information Technology Sector” and will be held from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. Nov. 20 in Lucas Administrative Center Room 506. For more information contact Cady Short-Thompson at (859) 572-6614 or shortthomp@nku.edu.