Briefs

NAACP hosts Freedom Fund Banquet

The Northern Kentucky University chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is hosting the third annual Freedom Fund Banquet from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Nov. 8 in the University Center Ballroom. A prebanquet reception will be held at 6 p.m. and dinner will begin at 7 p.m. Seats and tables are still available and the NKU NAACP is also still accepting donations for scholarships that will be available to NKU students. The cost for students is $15, an individual ticket is $30 and a table of eight is $240. To purchase a seat or for more information, contact Thaddeus Walls at wallst@nku.edu, first vice-president Trina Bonner at bonnera1@nku.edu or Destiny Harper at harperd1@nku.edu.

Comm. department to present faculty research

Communication faculty members will hold their second annual Communication Fall Research Colloquium from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Nov. 8 in Landrum Academic Center Room 104. The faculty will present research projects that discuss different facets in communication.

Food drive until Nov. 9

The Northern Kentucky University Social Work Club is asking for donations for the Brighton Center Emergency Food Pantry. There is a bin for canned goods, cereal, rice, pasta, peanut butter and crackers located in the lobby of the Business, Education and Psychology Building. There is a separate bin in BEP Room 222 for personal-care items such as deodorant, toothpaste and toilet paper. The bins will be open until Nov. 9.

NKU nursing honor society receives award

The Northern Kentucky Nursing Research Collaborative received a $46,000 NKU University-Community Partnership Grant 39th Biennial Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society Convention held Nov. 6 in Baltimore, Md. This grant will allow participants in the Northern Kentucky Nursing Research Collaborative (NKNRC) to continue to have access to statistical services, graphic arts services and poster-printing services for free or at a reduced cost. The award recognizes the Rho Theta chapter’s work to establish the NKNRC. This project provides for community educational seminars and annual research poster presentations at area hospitals. The NKNRC links community and NKU resources to advance nursing research throughout the region.

Economics professor receives award

Nancy Lang, an economics professor at Northern Kentucky University, received the 2007 Bessie B. Moore Service Award. She works in the University’s Center for Economic Education which trains K-12 teachers to incorporate economics education in their classrooms through professional development courses, graduate workshops, and online offerings. She encourages teachers to include economics lessons with other school subjects. This award recognizes individuals whose work has had in impact on the delivery and enhancement of economic education and who are or have been part of the National Council of Economic Educators.