82-year-old World Series of Poker divisional champ among 16 held in Tenn. gambling bust

A divisional winner of the World Series of Poker was arrested with 15 other men during a gambling raid that yielded almost $20,000, police said.

Paul McKinney and the others were sitting around a table playing poker Friday night when the raid occurred, police said. Authorities said they seized cash, playing cards and poker chips, as well as betting slips for the weekend’s sporting events.

McKinney, 82, of Weber City, Va., won the 2005 Seniors Division of the World Series of Poker tournament in Las Vegas, taking home $202,725, series spokesman Dave Curley said. At the time he was the oldest winner in World Series of Poker history.

Police in Kingsport, in eastern Tennessee, conducted the raid after getting a tip. All those arrested were charged with gambling.

McKinney was one of two people charged with aggravated gambling promotion on suspicion of organizing and promoting the event, according to police reports. Police also said McKinney was charged with possession of Schedule III narcotics after pills were found in his pocket.

McKinney was released Friday on $3,250 bond.

There was no phone number listed for McKinney in Weber City, and it was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney. No court date had been set Tuesday.