Sorority donates money for child abuse prevention

For many students, organizations are just about building a r’eacute;sum’eacute;. But for the women of Kappa Delta, it’s about helping others.

Kappa Delta’s most recent endeavor involved presenting a check for almost $1,600 to the Northern Kentucky Family Nurturing Center Oct. 16.

Florence’s Family Nurturing Center was chosen as the local focus for the sorority’s major philanthropic cause: child abuse prevention.

“We chose the center as our local recipient because of all the work they do in the community,” said Liz Osborne, vice president of operations for Kappa Delta. “They also treat anyone who walks in the door, and that’s important too.”

The Family Nurturing Center is a non-profit social agency dedicated to ending the cycle of child abuse. They teach classes to promote individual well-being and encourage healthy family relationships.

The money was raised in April, during Kappa Delta’s annual golf outing.

“Even though it was snowing, it was still a nice day,” Kappa Delta President Emily Zanitsch said. “Every team still came and played, just a few ended a little early.”

The event included more than 40 teams and raised more than $6000, which was split among Kappa Delta’s endeavors.

“The Kappa Delta sorority has once again demonstrated its commitment to helping in the fight to end child abuse by organizing their own fund raising events for our agency,” said Tracy Fuchs, director of development for Family Nurturing Center in a press release. “The girls truly represent the best of NKU and its support for the Northern Kentucky community.”

But community service is not just a part of Kappa Delta, it is an element of all Greek Life organizations.

“That’s what sets us apart from other student groups,” Zanitsch said. “It’s about being part of something bigger than yourself and helping others.”