Briefs

Annual Alumni Lecture Series set for Oct. 25

Former U.S. Senate leader Tom Daschle and author and pundit Pat Buchanan will be speaking at 7 p.m. Oct. 25 in Regents Hall. This will be the eighth annual Alumni Lecture. The two speakers have opposite views on controversial topics such as abortion, same-sex marriage and the war in Iraq. The Alumni Lecture Series is designed to give Northern Kentucky University faculty, staff and students an opportunity to hear their political leaders and the media debate important issues. Those attending the event in Regents Hall may park at the closed Thritftway building on US 27 or in any university parking lot on Kenton Drive and ride a TANK shuttle, which will run from 5 to 7 p.m. After the lecture, buses will begin drop-off service starting at 8:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance by calling (859) 572-5370 or (859) 572-5486 or at alumni.nku.edu. They will also be available at the door. The cost is $40 for the general public; $35 for NKU alumni, faculty and staff; and $10 for students. Tickets for a pre-event reception are $100.

NKU Entrepreneurship Institute receives award

Northern Kentucky University received an award for teaching innovation at the 11th annual National Consortium of Entrepreneurship Center Conference in October. The award is presented annually to institutions that improve in ways which entrepreneurship is taught and learned. NKU’s entrepreneurship program was named one of the top 25 entrepreneurship programs by Entrepreneurship Magazine and The Princeton Review.

NKU to face the Cyclones

Northern Kentucky University faculty, staff and students have the opportunity to see the Cincinnati Cyclones in action Oct. 27 against Trenton for only $10, as announced by the Cyclones, according to the NKU Web site. To buy the discounted tickets, click on the link on NKU’s main page under “latest news” and then click “NKU-Cyclones Ticket Order Form” to download a form that must be completed and returned to the Cincinnati Cyclones to get the special price. For more information, contact Chris Parsons at (513) 421-4111.

Dean of Students recognizes smoking ban violators

Dean of Students Matt Brown sent a university-wide e-mail Oct. 22 reminding students and faculty of the existing smoking ban titled the NKU 2006 Clean Air Act. Passed by the Board of Regents in January of 2006, the policy limits smoking to six designated areas located around campus. “Providing a safe and healthy environment is an important priority for the university,” said Brown in the Oct. 22 e-mail. “In addition to causing direct health hazards, the institutional costs associated with the disposal of cigarette butts are significant.” Dean Brown’s email cited complaints his office has received about people smoking in high traffic areas near building entrances.