News Briefs

FLIP internship applications due

Students selected by the Future Leaders Internship Program will have the opportunity to learn more about the legislative process, meet influential Kentuckians, work on policy issues facing the Commonwealth, learn about the inner workings of state government and strengthen their network by working with elected officials in Frankfort. The application is due by Oct. 22 and can be downloaded from www.nku.edu/~psc. Contact Dr. Ryan Teten at tetenr1@nku.edu with questions. All majors are welcome.

University Police offer rape aggressive defense course

University Police will sponsor the Rape Aggression Defense course from 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 1, 3, 8 and 10, with the Kenton County Sheriff’s Department; and from 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 16, 18, 23 and 25 with the Alexandria Police Department. Attendance on all four dates in the series is required for certification. There is no cost for the course. Applications are available to women online at http://access.nku.edu/dps/community_outreach/rad.htm. Contact Dave Tobergte at ext. 1917 or at tobergted@nku.edu with questions.

NKU LMC to receive service award

Centro de Amistad will present its Community Service Award Oct. 13 to the Northern Kentucky University Latino and Multicultural Center (LMC). Founded in 2005, the LMC gives Northern Kentucky University students the chance to serve as an interpreter between families and teachers, as well as mentor high school students. LMC partnered with NKU’s department of computer sciences to create the “Build It, Trust It, Use it” program, an eight-week course that teaches families how to build and use a computer. At the end of the program they take home a new Dell computer.

Nightmare in UC Ballroom

Throw on your cat ears or cowboy costume Oct. 11 for The Northern Right to Life’s Norse Nightmare. The event, which begins at 7:30 p.m. in the University Center Ballroom, is set to feature two comedians (one of which is Funnybone regular Joe Sorrell), two musicians, a magician, an open mic session and a costume contest. Cover for Norse Nightmare is $5 and includes free food and door prizes (gift certificates to Sully’s Bar and Grill and the Funnybone Comedy Club). Although the event doesn’t begin until 7:30, doors open at 7 and are expected to close between 9:30 and 10 p.m.