Visiting professor to receive accolade

For David Singleton, growing up in South Bronx, NY., wasn’t exactly filled with luxuries.

Instead, he was faced with the temptations of an urban area.

However, he didn’t let the lure affect his upbringing. Singleton said the influence of his parents and the relocation to another state put him on a better path.

With a degree from Harvard Law School and the possibility to being a high-paying attorney, Singleton instead followed his passion and help the less fortunate.

Singleton, a visiting professor at Salmon P. Chase College of Law, will receive the NAACP’s 2007 Theodore M. Berry award Oct. 5 at the Duke Energy Center in Cincinnati.

Singleton said that he had no idea he was going to receive the award until he was told he’d won it. Singleton added that he is very honored to be compared to Theodore M. Berry.

According to www.cincymuseum.org, Berry was a civil-rights leader and Cincinnati’s first black mayor. He also served on the NAACP Ohio Committee for Civil Rights Legislation, where he worked on equal-employment and fair-housing issues. Berry was also involved in the Urban League of Greater Cincinnati, which plans, assists, encourages and engages in the improvement of economic, social, educational and cultural conditions.

“Professor Singleton is an outstanding attorney and an inspiring teacher. (Chase) is very fortunate to have him visiting at Chase this year,” said Mark Stavsky, a professor at Chase.

Kenyatta Mickles, who said she was trained by Singleton, said she has a lot of experience. “I am inspired by his passion. I want to teach others to be great,” said Mickles, a recent graduate of Chase.

Billy Scott, an assistant receptionist at Chase Law School, agrees with Mickles.

“I read his biography, still, (one) couldn’t appreciate him until his commencement speech and that’s when I saw what his students saw,” he said.

“We have an obligation to make our communities better, work at it, not wait for others to do it,” Singleton said.