Lady Norse kicking it, ranked in top 25 poll

I wasn’t going to forget about the girls.

But because Northern’s men’s team has been so impressive thus far, I dedicated last week’s article to the men’s team.

The Northern Kentucky University Women’s Soccer Team, however, has been equally impressive.

The Norse had boasted a perfect record and had earned a No. 7 ranking in the NCAA Division II Top 25 Poll, before stumbling this past weekend.

The Lady Norse fell for the first time 3-2 Saturday afternoon and 1-0 to SIU-Edwardsville and Quincy University respectively, falling to 9-2 overall, and 5-2 in conference play.

Even with the losses, the team stands a very manageable 1.5 games out of first place behind Quincy in the standings, as the Great Lakes Valley Conference tournament approaches in three weeks.

However, the women will probably lose its No. 7 ranking in the Division II Top 25 poll.

Still you can’t be too disappointed with a winning percentage just south of .900 as September has drawn to a close.

A strong defense, much like the men’s team has, is allowing only eight shots on goal per game. The women’s teams defense has also allowed only 10 goals in 10 games.

Goalkeeper Alayna Fontaine has taken advantage of her three starts in the net while splitting time with ususal starter Jenna Kramer.

In 282 minutes guarding the net this year, Fontaine has allowed just one goal. Kramer, who has seen more action, is allowing just over one goal a game.

Much like men’s coach Dave Basalyga, Coach Bob Sheehan hasn’t searched much farther than his own backyard for some of the area’s most talented soccer players.

While junior defender Lauren Franzen is the lone Kentucky native on the team, all but one player on the roster hails from Southeast Indiana or the immediate Cincinnati area.

Franzen, by the way, has been the most outstanding player on the offensive side of the ball thus far, netting 14 points after the first eleven games. She is second in scoring and second in assists.

The Norse’s schedule will take the team away from the cozy confines of the Town ‘ Country athletic complex and into the Hoosier State next weekend as the Lady Norse take on Indianapolis and Saint Joseph’s University.

An excellent opportunity awaits NKU to make up for the previous 0-2 weekend and recover its 1.5 game deficit, as Indianapolis and St. Joseph’s are ranked just sixth and eighth in the conference, respectively.

The Norse may have hit a small bump in the road. but no need to put the dead end to this season. The women’s team will pull it together when it meets up with Indianapolis Oct. 5.