University plans for memorial

A week after the unexpected death of Dr. Dennis Weatherby, the former associate provost for student success, the university set a finalized date for a memorial to him.

From 3 to 4 p.m. on Oct. 4 in the Otto M. Budig Theatre, students, administrators and community members will remember a mentor they deeply cared about.

“This will give the community the opportunity to celebrate the wonderful contributions of Dr. Weatherby in his short time with us,” said Gail Wells, vice president of academic affairs.

The memorial will begin with music and opening remarks from both Wells and Northern Kentucky University President James Votruba.

Student Joshua A. Harris will also speak about Dr. Weatherby and introduce a PowerPoint presentation, which will be prepared by Susan Ritche, the assistant to the associate provost of student success.

Kanita House, a student who considered Dr. Weatherby like a father figure, will read a poem written by alumna Rensha Reeder, who worked closely with Dr. Weatherby when he first arrived at the university.

Other faculty and students will speak and the Anointed Voices Gospel Choir will perform at the memorial.

A reception will immediately follow in the UC Ballroom.

“He definitely had a strong positive impact on our students,” Wells said. “Students are deeply saddened