Secretary of state visits

When America’s forefathers met at the Constitutional Convention in 1787, they decided that there was a need for a strong centralized government.

Now, 220 years later, an allotted day is set aside to commemorate the anniversary of the adoption of the constitution.

Northern Kentucky University celebrated “Constitution Day” Sept. 17 with a speech by Secretary of State Trey Grayson at the Otto M. Budig Theatre.

Kelly Sirk, vice president of public relations for the Student Government Association, introduced Grayson.

“Constitution day is an opportunity to reflect upon the opportunities granted to each of us 220 years ago when the constitution convention approved the constitution that guides our country today,” Kirk said.

Grayson added that every educational institution has to teach the constitution on Constitution Day.

He also pointed out some areas that he would like to change in the constitution:

First, Grayson would like to implement early voting, because elections are usually held on Tuesdays and most people can’t get off work to caste their vote. Grayson added that he would like to take away excuse-based voting, which allows citizens to cast their vote before elections if they are going to be out of the state, because it would increase the turnout.

Secondly, he would like to implement a rotating regional system for early presidential campaigning. The United States would be broken up into four different regions for the potential nominees to visit accordingly. Grayson said doing this it would allow all the states’ issues to be addressed.

Grayson was elected to his position in 2003. He currently serves as the chairman to the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State and is also the treasurer of the National Association of Secretaries of State, where he sits on the executive committee.