Norse pride makes ‘norsification’

When people ask students to describe their campus, most reply that Northern Kentucky University is just a “concrete jungle.” Such a response might lead to a perception of a dull institution, but the reality is that the campus is evolving into something that the university community can take pride in. I have noticed trees planted in areas that once were paved in lifeless concrete, NKU logos on soap dispensers in the rest rooms and signage that illuminates the front door of our university on dreary winter nights – and I am pleased to know that more great things are about to occur. Such improvements provide the university with an environment that spurs positive productivity and passion in those who study and work at NKU as well as reverence by those who visit its campus.

Several years ago, the Student Government Association encouraged the university administration to invest in the “norsification” of the campus. Norsification is designed to increase pride at our university through various projects that add beauty and prestige. Some past accomplishments in this endeavor are the renaming of the lake, the new mascot and the improved landscaping. This year, SGA is looking forward to advancing norsification with increased dedication and creativity from the SGA Senate’s University Improvements Committee. As the “mad scientist of norsification,” I am honored to serve as the chair of this committee.

With NKU’s 40th anniversary on the horizon, several initiatives are being considered by SGA, including painting outdoor concrete steps in school colors, naming the student section for athletic events and new signage for outdoor lamp posts. With these and future projects, SGA is looking to increase school pride on campus like never before. Like NKU, “norsification” can never be fully completed because its evolution is enduring. I certainly hope that “norsification,” like PCP (parking lot to class to parking lot), is a term that people will have in their NKU vocabulary. The ultimate goal of “norsification” is to hear students, faculty and staff (past, present and future) refer to this university as a second home and say with confident enthusiasm, “I am NKU.”

Michael D. Tobergta Chair, University Improvements Committee Student Government Association