News Briefs

Global lectures set to begin

A new lecture series showing international accomplishments of Northern Kentucky University faculty will begin at 3 p.m. Sept. 20 in Otto Budig Theater.

Thorn McGovern, chair of NKU’s department of visual arts, will give the first lecture called “Travel the World: A grandmother’s challenge to her grandson.” He will be discussing the importance of having knowledge of other cultures and the influence that knowledge has had on his life.

Arboretum to be built around Loch Norse

Northern Kentucky University received a $7,990 grant to create an educational arboretum around Loch Norse.

The arboretum will be an outdoor classroom containing different types of trees that can be found in Northern Kentucky. Each tree will be labeled with its common name, scientific name and geographic origin.

Bill Moulton, NKU superintendent of roads and grounds, horticulture and transportation, proposed the idea.

Chase to hold session for prospective students

Chase College of Law will be having a meeting at 6 p.m. Sept. 24 for people considering entering law school. Topics covered will be the time line for applying, the application process, the LSAT, and what it’s like to be a law student. There will also be a tour of the college with a current law student.

The meeting will last about an hour and a half. To reserve a seat contact Gina Bray at brayg@nku.edu or 859-572-5490; space is limited to 20.

NKU to hold education summit and college fair

More than 300 junior high and high school students from Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky will be on campus from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 20 for the Urban League of Greater Cincinnati’s (GCUL) 2007 Education Summit and College Fair. Different parts of the fair will be held in Greaves Concert Hall, Steely Library and Fine Arts Center room 102.

The GCUL was founded in 1949 to build opportunities for blacks and others, according to gcul.org.

MBA multicultural reception

The second annual MBA multicultural reception will be held Sept. 24 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the University Center Ballroom. It will be featuring a panel discussion of the value of an MBA.

The reception is an informational and networking opportunity for current and prospective MBAs, according to the press release.

Director named for Small Business Development Center

Carol Cornell was named director of Northern Kentucky University’s Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Sept. 7.

Cornell has more than 18 years of experience as a consultant for various industries including healthcare management and clinical research, engineering and internet software development, federal contractor support services, and retail and service organizations.

She was awarded the National Small Business Institute Director’s Case of the Year Award from the Small Business Institute’s Director’s Association in 1999.

Cornell received her MBA from the UCLA Anderson School of Management.

The SBDC works with area banks, state and local governments and development agencies, local chambers of commerce and the U.S. Small Business Administration to help the creation and growth of small enterprises.

Entrepreneurship speaker series luncheon

The Chellgren Pathways to Entrepreneurship Speaker Series Luncheon will begin Sept. 25 at noon in the University Center Ballroom. Thomas M. Burkardt, CEO, president and chairman of the board of BlueNote Networks, will speak until 1:30 that day.

The series of luncheon lectures is sponsored by Paul Chellgren and is designed to give Northern Kentucky University students, faculty, regional high schools, and the business community a chance to learn from nationally recognized entrepreneurial leaders.

The Burkardt Consulting Center (BCC) was founded in 2003 by Burkardt to provide advice, project and data management, mathematical modeling and statistical analysis to NKU and the region. He also established the Thomas J. Kearns Student Athlete Advising Center in the Bank of Kentucky Center in 2007. Kearns was the first Faculty Athletic Representative and worked for NKU for 23 years.