Safety of all trumps freedom

I am writing about the article “State shouldn’t require students take a drug test,” April 4, 2007.

I do not think that there is only one side to this story, such as it has been reported in the article. There is a certain amount of freedom for everyone, but it should be sacrificed for the greater good.

The article stated that one of the most important rights we have as Americans is an inherent right to privacy. While the above statement is true, it does not apply to all cases. For example, if someone were plotting to overthrow the government in their house, then the government will not ignore it because of the right to privacy. To do so is infringing on other people’s rights, such as the right to a safe environment.

Even though this is not exactly a situation as the one mentioned in the article, I would just like to point out that one’s rights only last until others’ rights are infringed upon.

One might wonder how taking drugs is infringing on other people’s rights. Others’ rights are infringed upon when people take drugs because when someone takes drugs during some activity such as work, school or other extracurricular activity they are putting other kids in a possibly dangerous situation.

Accidents are more likely when someone is under the influence of drugs. Testing middle and high school kids for drugs will help society protect people’s right to safety.

Raj Akula sophomore computer engineering