Soccer teams still perfect

Men’s Soccer

The Northern Kentucky University Men’s Soccer Team kept its perfect record Sept. 2 with senior Tony Capurro’s tie-breaking goal in the second half.

The No. 5 Norse traveled to Tiffin University where it fell behind 1-0 in the first half. Tiffin’s defense was strong, but the game took a turn in the second half.

In the 51st minute, NKU’s senior Chad Cook tied the score with his first goal unassisted.

Nine minutes later, Capurro came through with the game-winning goal.

Senior Andy Ortman was goalkeeper in the first half, and then freshman Michael Lavric replaced him. This was Lavric’s first collegiate soccer game. He had two saves. Lavric is the 2006 Ohio high school Player of the Year and NSCAA All-American.

The Norse will return home 7:30 p.m. Sept. 7 to open Great Lakes Valley Conference play against Lewis University.

Women’s Soccer

Led by senior captain Jayme Light, the Northern Kentucky University Women’s Soccer Team defeated the University of Findlay 3-1 Aug. 31.

Kendall Day started the scoring with the first goal of the night and Light scored the final two goals.

Going into the game, NKU was 2-0 with wins over Tiffin University and Concord University and was looking for a third straight win before going into conference play.

The scoring got under way in the 44th minute as Light led freshman Kendall Day for a breakaway goal. This was Day’s second goal of the season.

Twelve minutes later, it was the same combination doing the scoring, but this time it was Day passing to Light for the goal. This extended the lead to 2-0 and from there the Norse would not look back.

Later, Light gave NKU some cushion on its 2-1 lead with a point blank goal in the 81st minute to cap off the scoring and give NKU its third straight win by a final score of 3-1.

Freshman goalkeeper Alayna Fontaine recorded the win. She blocked three shots in the win. Fontaine has allowed only one goal in the three games played.

The Norse will return home 5 p.m. Sept. 7 as they open Great Lakes Valley Conference play against Lewis University.

Chris Groger and Jami Patton contributed to this article.