UP looks for fraud suspect

Walking back to their dorn room, not many students would be hit with offers to buy magazine subscriptions, but Aug. 21 turned out to be a little different. Now the University Police are looking into investigating possible fraudulent charges againist a man trying to sell a subscription on campus.

According to police reports, a suspicious person confronted students outside of the University Suites offering his business card and soliciting money for a business venture.

Campus policy states that solicitation is not allowed on campus.

Peter Trentacoste, interim director of university housing, said an incident like this has not happened before on campus.

The subject was described as a black male in his early twenties, with a shaved head. He was last seen wearing a two-tone brown horizontal-striped shirt and blue jeans.

According to an e-mail sent out by Trentacoste to residential students, University Police have received many calls in regards to the man. One person said that she attempted to contact him after making a magazine purchase but the information he provided was false.

In addition, the campus address given by the suspect does not exist. University Police are treating this as a possible fraud.

“Anyone who may have written the subject a check for magazines is urged to contact their financial institution and take appropriate action,” said Trentacoste in an e-mail.

If anyone comes across a suspicious person trying to solicit you money, Trentacoste offers this advice:

“No matter where you live you need to be aware of the people around you trying to sell you things.”