Wright flashes basketball skills at invitational

Though the basketball season is over, Northern Kentucky University’s Steven Wright got the chance to showcase his skills again this weekend, this time in front of professional scouts.

The 6-foot-3 guard was one of 60 players selected to participate in the inaugural Collegiate Basketball Invitational in Wadsworth, Ohio. Wright was chosen to play for the WRH Health Systems Team by a committee who evaluated players from 1,000 different colleges and universities among the three levels.

Throughout the course of the event, Wright played in three tournament games and helped his team to a spot in the championship game, where it would eventually lose and finish with a record of 2-2. Wright earned a spot on the East All-Star team with his strong performance throughout the tournament.

Although Wright did not have the strong showing or statistics that Norse fans came to expect this season, he did make a name for himself. In five games (All-Star game included) Wright did a little bit of everything, averaging 9 points, 3.6 assists, 2.6 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.

Wright was the Norse’s leading scorer and rebounder this year after averaging 16.8 points and 5.4 rebounds per game. He also won the Great Lakes Valley Conference Player of the Year award, and was named to the NCAA Division II Great Lakes Region All-Tournament teams. Wright also became the first Norse player in history to be chosen as a first team All-American selection by Division II Bulletin.