Students give light to lost lives

After the April 16 shooting at Virginia Tech, students, faculty and staff will have an opportunity to shed some light on the tragedy during a candlelight vigil held at 8:45 p.m., April 25 at Loch Norse.

Vigil events will include student dialogue, a memorial demonstration and a brief speech by VT alumnus David Agard, a mathematics professor at Northern Kentucky University.

“This is a way to celebrate the live of those lost,” said Sheree Davis, co-director of the vigil. “This is more student focused, and a chance for students who want to get together and do something.”

Davis said orange and maroon ribbons will be sold at the event, along with candles, which will be put in Loch Norse at the end of the vigil. Students can give one-dollar donations to sign a banner that will be sent to VT.

According to Davis, 32 chairs with a picture of each victim will be set up on the bridge overlooking Loch Norse.

Other events happening during the vigil will include a moment of silence, the recitation of a non-denominational prayer, “Amazing Grace,” being played on bagpipes, a song performance by junior musical theatre major Elizabeth Worley and the VT fight song will be played to close the evening.

Donations will also be collected to benefit the “Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund,” which was created for the family members of the victims to aid in the healing process, according to the VT Web site.

Another way students have shown their support for VT is by signing two large yellow cards located outside Business Education and Psychology Room 209 with the heading “To Virginia Tech.” Students had the chance to write words of comfort, encouragement and hope on the cards for their peers at VT.

“It is a process of sharing emotions and reading other people’s quotes and feelings,” said Susan Mospens, director of Student Support Services. “By having them here, students feel as though they have done something.”

Mospens said she has seen many people stop and read the display. She said she also heard one student talk about how much he liked reading what other people had written.

According to Mospens, since April 16 the display has garnered 100 signatures.