Sports season in short

The Northern Kentucky University sports year is coming to an end. Taking a look back, the Norse has had success and has plenty of room to grow. The men’s basketball team made its first appearance in the NCAA Division II Tournament since the 2002-03 season. In the championship game of the conference tournament, NKU fell to the University of Southern Indiana by a heartbreaking 63-61. Then, in the regional tournament, it lost to Grand Valley State University 66-42 in the final game.

Senior Steven Wright had a successful year earning Player of the Year, All-America First Team by Division II and being named to the West All-Stars. The Norse finished with a record of 24-9 overall and 13-6 in the GLVC.

In women’s basketball, the team lost to Drury University, 68-57, in the semi-finals of the conference tournament, but still advanced to the regional tournament. There, Ferris State University took NKU out in the first round, defeating it 70-69.

Senior Brittany Winner was named to the All-GLVC First Team, junior Angela Healy was named to the All-GLVC Second Team and sophomore Cassie Brannen earned Honorable Mention All-GLVC.

The Men’s Golf Team is having a great season, winning the conference tournament and taking second in the region. The NCAA Division II Super Regional will be played May 7-9, and then Nationals will take place May 22-25.

Senior David Shearer placed first in the conference tournament. Senior Johnathon Ehlen and junior Andrew Jewell tied for fifth in the regional.

Shearer earned All-GLVC Honors and Player of the Year. Sophomore Clint Kohls received All-GLVC Honors, and Head Coach Daryl Landrum got Coach of the Year.

The women’s golf team tied for second with the University of Indianapolis in the conference tournament, but senior Bianca Hutton placed first. The NCAA Division II East Regional will be played April 30 through May 2.

Hutton has received All-GLVC Honors and Player of the Year.

The men’s soccer team had national recognition and almost made it to the Final Four. In the Conference Tournament semifinals, the University of Wisconsin-Parkside advanced on penalty kicks 6-5, after two overtimes and a score even at 0. The Norse still made it into the Regional Tournament where they defeated UWP 4-0, and then Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, 3-2, in overtime for the trophy.

In the NCAA Division II national quarterfinals, Lincoln Memorial took the win over NKU, 2-1. The Norse finished with a record of 16-3-3 overall and 9-2-2 in the GLVC.

Freshman Braden Bishop was named to the All-GLVC First Team. On the All-GLVC Second Team were juniors Tony Capurro, Andy Bacon Jr. and Dan Impellizerri. Sophomore Tony Ray earned All-GLVC Honorable Mention. Capurro was also named to NSCAA’s All-America Second Team. Head Coach John Basalyga was named NSCAA Great Lakes Region Coach of the Year.

The women’s soccer team lost to UI in a penalty kick shootout, 5-4, so it didn’t advance to the Conference Tournament. The Lady Norse finished its season with a record of 13-4-1 overall and 9-4 in the GLVC.

Junior Jayme Light was named to the All-GLVC First Team. Junior Cara Alldred earned a spot on the All-GLVC Second Team, and Freshman Hope Zinser received All-GLVC Honorable Mention.

The men’s tennis team wrapped up its season with a record of 8-10 overall, and 3-1 in the GLVC. The University of Missouri-St. Louis defeated NKU, 5-0, in the first round of the conference tournament.

The Women’s Tennis Team finished with a record of 5-10 overall, and 1-4 in the GLVC. The team wasn’t eligible to advance to the conference tournament due to lack of roster players. Freshman Stephanie Isaacs was named GLVC Co-Freshman of the Year. The tennis teams did add a new addition to the program with a brand new court; the Joyce E. Yeager Tennis Complex.

The volleyball team had a successful year, but fell to UI in the first round of the conference tournament.

Junior Liz Holmes repeated as All-American on AVCA’s NCAA Division II squad, and Junior Tristen Dye earned ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District IV Honor. Both Holmes and Dye made the All-GLVC First Team. Sophomore Kristina Eisenmenger and Senior Andrea Lanham were named to the All-GLVC Second Team.

The softball team had it share of struggles this season. So far, its record is 22-24 overall and 7-13 in the GLVC. The Norse will not advance to the conference tournament.

The baseball team has suffered from a slow start, but has been picking up speed. NKU has a record of 22-21 overall and 18-11 in the GLVC so far in the season. The conference tournament will begin May 11. The Men’s Cross Country Team finished with a record of 67-40. It also placed 22nd in the NCAA Division II Nationals. Junior Brad Bullock earned All-GLVC honors and became the first men’s runner to receive All-GLVC accolades since Brian Flaherty in 1995. He is also just the fourth NKU men’s runner to ever earn the honor.

The Women’s Cross Country Team made history this season. They placed third in the GLVC championships; the highest in the women’s program history.

Rose Jepkirui set a school-record in the six-kilometer run with a time of 22:01 and earned All-GLVC Honors. Julianne Hoekzema earned All-GLVC Honors for the second straight season.