In the hot seat

Tim Downer

Tim Downer

In the Hot Seat with Tim Downer

Sophomore tennis player Josh Fudala from Cincinnati, Ohio is this week’s Hot Seat guest.

Tim: Josh, how long have you been playing tennis? Josh: I have been playing tennis for 14 years now.

Tim: Did you play in high school, and if so, how good were you? Josh: I played for Turpin High School and I was on varsity for four years. I would like to think that I was a pretty good player.

Tim: Were you recruited to play at Northern Kentucky University? Josh: No, I was not recruited.

Tim: What made you decide to come to NKU? Josh: First and foremost, it was close to home. I decided to come play tennis because I had known (Geoff Crawford) for quite some time and I have the utmost respect for him and NKU tennis.

Tim: Did you have any offers to play at other schools? Josh: No, I did not have any other offers.

Tim: Josh, what is your strength in tennis? Josh: My return of serve (preferably backhand side) and my never-say-die attitude. I believe I have an extraordinary mental game.

Tim: How fast is your serve? Josh: 85-95 mph.

Tim: How good is the NKU men’s team this year? Josh: I believe that this team is good and deeper than we were last year.

Tim: How are the other teams in the GLVC and who is the team to beat? Josh: All of the other teams are good and bad, but the team to beat is always Drury, Rockhurst and Indianapolis.

Tim: What do you think about the new courts at NKU? Josh: I think the new courts at NKU look real good. Now it is just time for them to fix a few of those screw ups that they made on them.

Tim: Do you prefer playing indoors or outdoors? Josh: I love to play outdoors.

Tim: Who is the one tennis player you admire? Josh: I admire my teammate and best friend Fritz Dlabik. The reason I admire him is because he reminds me of myself and he has a wonderful attitude coming into our matches, and he is by far the best teammate another teammate could have.

Tim: What professional player would you like to play a match against? Josh: I would love to play a match against my hero, Andre Agassi.

Tim: Do you think the prize money in the professional tennis events should be equal for both male and female? Josh: Yes I do. I believe that women’s tennis has done enough to prove that they are equal and deserve the same pay as males receive.

Tim: What kind of strength training must tennis players do? Josh: A lot of running and a lot of days in the weight room working those legs, shoulders and back.

Tim: After your tennis playing days are over at NKU, what will you do? Josh: I plan to become a 5th grade elementary school teacher teaching social studies and science.

Tim: How do tennis players get psyched up for a match? Josh: There are many ways players get psyched up for a match. They listen to their music, have rowdy and loud cheers and they constantly remind their teammates of how good they are and how good they can be.

In the hot seat