Dean of students announces move

With the end of the school year approaching, most students are counting down the days to summer vacation. However, for one faculty administrator, summer vacation is going to be a little bit shorter.

Dean of Students Kent Kelso recently announced that he accepted the position of Regional Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs at the University of South Florida- St. Petersburg in St. Petersburg, Fla.

“I’m very excited and I’m looking forward to being vice chancellor,” Kelso said. “I’m excited to not be chief judicial officer. I don’t have to deal with disciplinary actions as a chancellor.”

Kelso accepted the position after the recent completion of his doctorate.

“I believe that Dean Kelso has made a broad range of very significant contributions to the university,” said President James Votruba.

Some of Kelso’s contributions to Northern Kentucky University included designing and planning the new Student Union; revising the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities; providing leadership for the University Suites and Campus Recreation fitness and recruiting; and sustaining a capable team of student affairs professionals.

According to Votruba, Vice President of Student Affairs Mark Shanley will conduct a search for the next dean, which will take approximately six to nine months.

“I expect that (the university) will do a national search, although I believe we have several strong internal candidates,” Votruba said.

Votruba said the next dean must embrace the university’s mission, relate to a broad range of students, be able to work across division and have absolute integrity.

“The dean of students position is very challenging,” Votruba said. “Kent connected with our students and is a values-based leader. I respect these qualities.”

At the University of South Florida, Kelso will oversee departments that include orientation, counseling, judicial affairs, assessment, career development, fitness and recreation, multicultural affairs, the academic success center, campus activities, student life, student wellness, athletics, housing and advising Student Government Association.

Kelso noted that his new position is both exciting and sad.

“I’ve been at NKU for over six years and I’ve made a tremendous amount of friends.” he said. “I’m excited to be the person to make decisions and take initiatives.”

Kelso begins his position as vice chancellor at the University of South Florida- St. Petersburg June 4.