Alpha Chi article incorrect

Thank you for The Northerner’s coverage of The Evening of Student Achievement on Feb. 28. It brought attention to student achievement as well as the collaboration between the Office of First-Year Programs, the Honors Program and the Office of International Programs. This event was an incredible opportunity to show a full circle of academic success from the beginning through the end of a college career, recognizing freshmen as well as juniors and seniors who have distinguished themselves from their peers

I am writing to clarify some misinformation printed in the article “Honor society inducts 66 new members” in the March 21 edition of The Northerner. The article inaccurately stated that 66 freshmen were inducted into Alpha Chi and that 46 freshman were nominated as outstanding freshmen by their Honors 101 professors.

The Evening of Student Achievement honored several groups of students, not all of whom were freshmen. Each fall, University 101 and Honors 101 professors are asked to nominate a student from each of their classes to be recognized as an Outstanding Freshman. This year, there were 46 freshmen honored and given the opportunity to apply for a $500 study abroad scholarship. Sarah Carnahan did win this scholarship. Other freshmen who were honored included those who won the Book Connection Essay and Art contest this past fall.

A second group of students who were celebrated at this event were 66 juniors and seniors who had reached high academic achievement (60 hours at NKU and a cumulative GPA of 3.8) and were inducted as new members into Alpha Chi Honor Society. These students also competed in an essay contest and the names originally printed were correct.

We appreciate the coverage of this event and the opportunity to correct some of the details.

Thank you,

Jennie LaMothe Coordinator, Office of First-Year Programs