Wright shows All-Star skills

The Northern Kentucky University Men’s Basketball Team enjoyed great success this season thanks to the play of their seniors, one in particular.

Steven Wright entered NKU this past fall as a transfer from Bowling Green State University, where he played three seasons for the Falcons, and graduated with a degree in sports management.

Although he played just one season for the Norse, his impact on the court was immeasurable.

On a team comprised of four seniors and four Division I transfers, Wright found a way to steal the spotlight. Whether it was his smooth shooting or his high flying dunks, the 6-foot-3 guard was a package that Norse fans had yet to see.

Wright averaged 16.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game this season, leading the Norse in all three categories, all while shooting 46.1 percent from the field.

Norse fans were also treated to his 37 dunks this season, the second highest all-time among NKU guards.

Head Coach Dave Bezold was happy to have Wright on his team, he said, although at times he was worried of what was to come.

“With some transfers, you keep waiting for the devil to come out and the trouble to begin, because you are afraid they left the previous school for a reason,” Bezold said. “But Steve is a class act.”

Along with helping the Norse to a 24-9 record and a trip to the NCAA Division II Sweet 16, Wright also added to his on-court resume. In a game against University of Southern Indiana earlier this season, Wright hit a career milestone when he scored his 1,000-career point (he finished with 1,293 career points between BGSU and NKU).

Wright later took home the Great Lakes Valley Conference Player of the Year award, becoming the first Norse player to accomplish this feat since Derek Fields in 1989.

He also earned All-Great Lakes Region honors from Daktronics, Inc., and was named to the NABC/NCAA Division II All-Great Lakes Region first team.

Most recently, Wright was selected to play in the NABC/NCAA Division II All-Star Game, held March 23 at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass., as part of the Division II Elite Eight.

Representing the West All-Stars among some of the best talent in DII, Wright played exceptionally well as his team rallied to a 97-92 win over the East division. Wright finished the game with 13 points, four rebounds and three steals.

“It’s an all-star game, so I just wanted to come out, have fun and compete against some really talented players,” Wright said. “It was a great experience being here. I made a lot of new friendships, and it was fun hanging around the other players.”

Wright looks to the future as his college career is now complete. Wright has signed with an agent and hopes to further his playing career in the professional ranks.