SGA candidates announce platform

Editor’s note: The following is a letter from several candidates for Northern Kentucky University’s Student Government Association. It does not constitute an endorsement of any candidate by The Northerner.

Any SGA candidates who would also like to submit a letter announcing their candidacy or platform are welcome to do so. It should be fewer than 450 words and submitted no later than the Friday before publication. Letters that contain more than 450 words will be edited for space. Letters can be submitted on The Northerner’s Web site (www.thenortherner.com) or be e-mailed as a Microsoft Word document to northerner@nku.edu.

Student Government Elections are fast approaching and I would like to announce my candidacy for student government president. My name is Lindsey Bendure, and my running mate is Sheree Davis for executive vice president. I am a senior biology major and involved in the Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority. I am a Student Government Association senator, on the University Improvements Committee and also run cross country for Northern Kentucky University as well as being involved in many other organizations. Davis is a junior marketing major and has been involved with Student Government for the past four years. In that time Davis has been a senator, Team NKU member, Finance and University Improvements Committee chair, and is currently vice president of Administrative Affairs.

I believe the involved student leaders who are running with me will fully represent NKU students. All candidates are qualified to hold the offices that they are pursuing. Gabe Cronon, who is seeking vice president of Student Involvement, has worked extensively within the Office of Student Life. He is a junior speech communication major and the president of Norse Leadership society, co-director of Northern Kentucky Leadership Institute, chair of the Homecoming Committee (for the past 2 years), and is the vice president of programming for his fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Aranda Gillum is a freshman finance major, an SGA senator, and Finance Committee member. She can provide SGA with valuable budgeting insight. Kelly Sirk is a senior public relations major and a leader in her Sorority Delta Zeta, where she is vice president of Programming. Sirk is also in Order of Omega, the honors program, and PRSSA (NKU’s Public Relations Society), and Golden Key International Honors Society.

I have been at NKU for a few years now and I think its time for a change. SGA belongs to the students, so it’s your voice I want to hear. I have ideas, but what’s most important is that I be a liaison for you, so that your ideas can be heard.

The following are a few of my key concerns to address next year if elected:

1. Organization funding and more opportunities for smaller organizations to obtain funding

2. Campus Recreation facilities, athletics, more housing

3. Recycling, campus beautification, campus safety, campus dinning

4. More scholarship opportunities for students

5. Access to technology and midterm grades for all students

Also, we would like to ensure that we represent all students and are tackling the right issues so we are interested in holding town hall meetings each semester.

It is my hope that you will consider voting for the Bendure-Davis team on April 11 and 12. We appreciate your time and support and hopefully we will see you next year!

Lindsey Bendure Candidate for president

Aranda Gillum Candidate for vice president of Administration

Sheree Davis Candidate for executive vice president

Gabe Cronon Candidate for vice president of Student Involvement

Kelly Sirk Candidate for vice president of Public Relations