Sports scene

Northern Kentucky University remains No. 1 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference East Division after defeating the University of Wisconsin-Parkside Feb. 10 for the 12th consecutive time at Regents Hall.

Transfers, center James Cripe, forward Anthony Teague and guard Steven Wright have all been integral parts of the Norse’s success this year.

NKU is 17-6 overall and 10-5 in the conference, leading Saint Joseph’s College (Indiana) by two games in the East.

Wright, the former Dayton area Player of the Year, scored 23 points in both games this past week.

In a Feb. 8 contest against Lewis University, Wright came just short of a triple-double as he added nine rebounds and seven assists to his 23 points.

Wright, a 6-foot-3 senior transfer from Bowling Green State, leads the Norse in scoring (16.7 points per game), steals (31), free throws made (81), free throws attempted (102) and minutes per game (30.8). Despite being a guard, he also leads the team with 5.4 rebounds per game.

Former Loveland High School star Cripe has provided the Norse with valuable minutes in the paint this year.

Cripe, who played his first three seasons at Dayton, is the first 7-footer in NKU history.

His scoring average has improved by six points from last year to this year, as he’s been averaging nearly nine points a game while logging only 20 minutes per game.

Cripe has also provided the Norse with a solid defensive presence, leading the team in blocked shots with 25. He was also an integral part in the Norse’s 70-66 win Feb. 10 over UWP.

Despite playing his season average of 20 minutes, Cripe scored 14 points on 6-of-9 shooting and grabbed two rebounds.

Former Shaker Heights (Ohio) star and University of New Mexico guard, Teague has adjusted well to Division II basketball.

Teague, who played in three games for New Mexico last season, came into this season known for his outstanding shooting and scoring abilities.

Teague is logging only 17 minutes per game, but has been a valuable commodity coming off the bench. He has played in 18 of the Norse’s first 22 games, and has averaged 8.6 points per contest.

Teague is also one of the most prolific perimeter shooters on the team, shooting 39 percent from behind the arc.