Barr helps Norse win in shootout

Justin Barr recorded the best game of his career as a member of NKU’s Hockey club.

Barr made six goals in an 8-7 win against neighbor University of Cincinnati.

“It’s a big rivalry for us,” Barr said.

Barr definitely established his dominance with his play.

It was a physical game, as always, when the Norse is involved. No. 10 Scott Hicks probably checked more Bearcats than he touched the puck.

The start of the contest didn’t indicate that the Norse would come out with a victory when it went into the first intermission on the wrong end of a 4-1 score.

NKU displayed its frustration through illegal checks leading to penalties, which led to more players on the ice for UC.

But with the first 20 minutes of play out of its system, NKU came out firing on all cylinders.

UC scored once, but NKU put four goals past the Bearcat’s goalie.

Two goals from No. 9 Justin Barr plus his first goal in the first period, earned him a hat-trick.

NKU could attribute its goals to better play. The checking was still there, it just got a little less violent, which cut down on the penalties.

“We really got the stupid penalties out of us, and started to play better as a team,” Barr said.

The Norse might not have had a lead going into the third period with the score tied at 5-5, but its morale was definitely lifted.

Martin Paul, NKU’s goalie let seven goals get in the net, but his effort saved NKU many more goals and also preserved the win when time started running down.

He had around 29 saves for the night with about 10 clutch stops coming in the waning seconds of the third period.

UC scored two more goals in the third period, but Barr got enough goals in the third period alone for another hat-trick. His first goal came at :13 and his second goal came at :29 into the third period.

NKU looks to have assembled a pretty decent season thus far, and with an above .500 record, the Norse have become pretty respectable.

The student section at the Northern Kentucky Ice Center continues to grow every game.

The next home game is 10 p.m. Feb 9 against University of Southern Indiana.