Women’s basketball beats WSU

The Northern Kentucky Women’s Basketball Team, ranked No. 15 in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II, won big over Wayne State University Nov. 25.

The Norse (2-0) dominated the boards and the game, winning 97-56.

NKU had six players scoring in double digits, and leading the team was sophomore forward Cassie Brannen. She contributed a career-high 20 points and had nine rebounds.

Other Norse high scorers were junior Angela Healy with 13 points, sophomore Keri Finnel with 12, sophomore Karen Brackman with 11, senior Katie Butler with 11 and senior Betsey Clark with 10 points.

Healy also brought down nine rebounds and had four assists in 26 minutes of play.

WSU (1-3) only had two players score in double figures, both coming off the bench. They were senior Cherita Smith with 18 points in 16 minutes and freshman Brooke Bowers with 12 points in 11 minutes of play.

The Warriors spent the entire game struggling for points but the Norse took charge and out-hustled the Warriors up and down the court.

WSU turned the ball over 24 times compared to the 16 committed by NKU.

The Norse efficiently shot 55.4 percent for the entire game. When the team scores like that, it becomes a positive outcome. A good offense also comes with a good defense as the Norse out-rebounded the Warriors 42-31. NKU held WSU to only 16 points in the first half and 23.1 percent shooting for the game.

The Norse also shot very well from the charity stripe, shooting 30-40 from the line.

NKU Head Coach Nancy Winstel was pleased with her team’s effort, but felt it could have gone better, according to a press release from NKU Athletics. “I thought we played very well in spots, and I thought we were a little sloppy at times too,” she said.

The Norse will begin Great Lakes Valley Conference play Nov. 30 at 5:30 p.m. against Quincy University at Regents Hall.

NKU will also play Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville Dec. 2 at 1 p.m. in Regents Hall.