NKU adds club sports

Behind the lights, fame and possible fortune, the National Collegiate Athletic Association brings high revenue to universities nationwide, including Northern Kentucky University.

In the mix of this environment, sometimes highly competitive athletes find themselves painted up in the stands wishing they could be out on the playing surface sweating and bleeding their school colors.

NKU has 22 active club teams, eight of which are new this year. According to the Campus Recreation Web site, “Each club sport is a student organization comprised primarily of students, faculty and staff. Each club is formed, developed, governed, and administered by the student membership of that particular club.” The clubs allow students opportunities to be competitive and a chance to have fun.

This was the Men’s Volleyball Club inaugural year at NKU, and it competed very well in its first tournament at the University of Kentucky.

NKU’s Hockey Club skates into mid-season with a record of 12-5 and two monster wins against the University of Louisville. They will host Ohio Wesleyan University Dec. 2 at 10 p.m. at the Northern Kentucky Ice Center.

NKU also now offers more clubs such as table tennis, swimming, women’s soccer, men’s soccer, paintball, Tae Kwon Do, Ebony Fire Dance Team and many others to come in the spring.

Not only can students participate, but also some of the clubs are seeking faculty/staff advisers. The following teams are currently in need: Cricket Club, Cycling/Mountain Biking Club, Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer and Men’s Lacrosse.

For more information, contact Assistant Director of Campus Recreation Jill Kleiser at (859) 572-5728.