This Thanksgiving, knock one back

Thanksgiving Eve

With the unofficial biggest bar night of the year rapidly approaching, The Northerner wants you to know where to get your holiday hangover started off right. Sure the traditional Thanksgiving fare may not taste as good with leftover brew and spirits dominating your palate, but hey, the fuzzy memories you acquire at these Thanksgiving Eve hot spots may just make the relatives tolerable. So, if you’re out and about on the most happening hump day of the year, we suggest you hit up the following fine establishments for all your harvest holiday hedonism.

Annie’s

If you’re looking to catch some live music to accompany your imbibing ’90s rock outfit, Seven Mary Three will be bringing more than just a casserole to the party this year. They will be rocking Annie’s on Kellogg Avenue in Cincinnati with post-grunge, radio-friendly hits like “Cumbersome” and “Water’s Edge,” appropriate considering Annie’s riverfront locale. Grab tickets early for $15 or $20 day of show. Leave the little ones at home to prepare the stuffing- it’s 18 and up. The openers Rootbound and Another Tragedy will kick the night off at 9 p.m.

The Mad Hatter

Covington’s former risque nightclub gone rock ‘N’ roll bar hosts a flock of local acts for its “Thanksgiving Eve Mayhem Party.” On the menu: Death in Graceland, The Great Depression, Crybaby, Junior Revolution and Northern Southern. Cover is only $5, leaving you plenty of scratch to head to the always open Anchor Grill on 12th Street for an open-faced turkey sandwich, should the turkey anticipation get the best of you. It may not live up to Mom’s bird, but should be a nice preview of the gluttony to come. Music drops at 8 p.m. and the show is 18 and up.

The Madison Theater

NKU’s resident indie gem Sweet Ray Laurel hosts a “Thanksgiving Eve Bash” at Covington’s historic Madison Theater with the help of Gravity Hill, Kelley Thomas, Tupelo Honey and The Afterlife Saints. The Madison is just a short pilgrimage down Sixth Street from Covington’s Main Strausse entertainment district, an infamous hot spot offering more than a dozen bars for whatever particular feather you flock to. Head down early for some pub crawling and stagger over to the Madison to catch Sweet Ray and friends as they take the stage at 9 p.m.

Drawbridge Inn

For only one night a year a rather unassuming hotel in Ft. Mitchell becomes the site of the locally famous “Turkey Bash.” PETA members can put their poster board and Sharpies down; no turkeys are harmed in the production of this massive inebriation celebration. The bash will be serving up the band Spincycle and a DJ for your musical appetite. And for the partygoers who last out the night, hit up the breakfast buffet at Chaucer’s for $8. From I-75 jump off the Buttermilk Pike exit and head east, the Drawbridge is right next to Montgomery Inn but get there early, the Turkey Bash fills up faster than Stove Top for one night of gluttonous glory. Doors opens at 7:30 p.m.

The Newport Scene

With more bars and entertainment than you can shake a drumstick at, Newport is a close and classic choice for stepping out before stuffing in. The Beer Sellar, Hofbrauhaus, Arnie’s and Jefferson Hall are all within walking distance of the Levee and offer a wide variety of drink and live entertainment options. Be on the lookout for a large turnout of fellow bar patrons to the fast-growing night life scene in Greater Cincinnati.

Staying In

If the bar scene isn’t really your thing or the underage blues are biting, you can always head home early and peel some potatoes. If shucking spuds isn’t your cup of tea either, Hollywood has you covered with a handful of (surprisingly) worthwhile movies to catch. Some recommendations: “Borat,” “Babel,” “Casino Royale,” “Fast Food Nation,” “Saw III” or “The Departed.”